Experienced San Antonio bicycle accident lawyers
Our law firm fights for injured cyclists in Bexar County, Texas
Bicycle accidents caused by reckless or negligent drivers in San Antonio often result in serious injuries. In an instant, an injured cyclist might be in a lot of pain due to a concussion or another type of traumatic brain injury (TBI). Or they might be dealing with broken bones, organ damage or other internal injuries caused by a serious bicycle crash.
If you or a loved one was hurt in a cycling accident caused by a driver, you need to act fast to protect your health and your rights. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to an experienced San Antonio bicycle accident attorney right away.
The experienced legal team at The Herrera Law Firm can help you every step of the way. We know the laws that apply to bicycle accidents in Texas. We understand how the legal system works in Bexar County. That’s why we have a strong track record of success helping injured cyclists and their families.
Bicycle accidents increasingly common in Texas
Cycling has become increasingly popular in San Antonio and other parts of Texas, thanks to bike paths like the San Antonio Mission Trail and the San Antonio River Walk Mission Reach Trail.
Sadly, bicycle accidents that result in serious injuries or fatalities have increased in recent years as well. In the past decade alone, the number of bicycle accident fatalities has set new record highs nearly every year, according to accident data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
Why bicycle accidents happen
In most cases, bicycle accidents occur because the driver was acting recklessly and not sharing the road with cyclists. Specific examples of such negligent behavior include:
- Distracted drivers not paying attention to cyclists riding alongside the road.
- Texting drivers or drivers using their cellphones who hit cyclists.
- Speeding drivers who don’t have time to slow down to avoid hitting a cyclist.
- Aggressive drivers who drive too close to cyclists, accidentally or intentionally.
- Drunk drivers who veer off the road and hit a cyclist.
In each case, the negligent driver should be held accountable for their actions. That’s our job. And we’re proud to represent injured cyclists in San Antonio and throughout Bexar County and other parts of Texas.
Common bicycle accident injuries
Injuries sustained by cyclists in bicycle accidents caused by drivers can cover a wide range, including:
- Head injuries, including concussions and other traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Broken bones, especially bone fractures in the arms and legs.
- Spinal cord injuries and other serious back injuries.
- Internal injuries, including organ damage and internal bleeding.
Bicycle accident injuries demand immediate medical attention. Don’t take chances after your bicycle accident. Act fast and see a doctor right away. If necessary, go to San Antonio Regional Hospital Emergency Room or another nearby medical center. Many bicycle accident injuries can be life-threatening if not treated immediately.
What should I do if I’m hurt in a bicycle accident?
As explained above, you need to act fast after a serious San Antonio bicycle accident. Such steps include:
- Call 911 and tell them you have been in a serious bicycle accident caused by a driver. Ask the 911 dispatcher to send an ambulance if you have a serious or potentially life-threatening injury.
- If someone saw your accident, get their name and phone number. Statements from eyewitnesses can help strengthen your injury claim. If you’re not healthy enough to do this, ask someone at the scene of the crash to do this for you.
- Take photos of your accident. The more pictures, the better. And again, if you’re too injured to do this, ask someone at the scene of the accident to take pictures of your bicycle accident and send them to you.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor. Even if you have already been examined by an EMT or an emergency room doctor, many bicycle accident injuries take several hours or days to develop. Having a second doctor examine you can help identify injuries that could have been missed by the doctor the first time.
- Call a lawyer right away. The sooner you have an attorney handling your bicycle accident injury claim or lawsuit, the better.
How can a San Antonio bicycle accident attorney help me?
Bicycle accident injury claims and lawsuits in San Antonio often turn into complicated legal cases. Even if a driver clearly caused your accident, don’t be surprised if the driver denies doing anything wrong or if the insurance company denies your claim.
Our San Antonio law firm has the resources and the skills to demand the compensation you rightfully deserve. We know what to look for when reviewing accident reports. We carefully investigate every detail and search for evidence to build the strongest possible legal case. We do not rest until justice is served.
Learn more about your legal rights. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio bicycle accident attorney you can count on in a crisis. Discover what The Herrera Law Firm can do for you.