Sustain a Concussion in a San Antonio Car Accident?
Our lawyers fight for head injury victims’ rights in Bexar County, Texas
Concussions and other types of head injuries often occur in serious car accidents. If you or a loved one sustained a concussion in a car crash, it’s critical that you seek medical attention right away. Then talk to an attorney who knows how to deal with car accident injury claims.
Our experienced San Antonio car accident injury attorneys at The Herrera Law Firm can help you every step of the way. We know how to handle car accident injury claims involving concussions and other serious head injuries. That’s why injury victims in Texas turn to us when they need legal help the most.
What is a concussion?
A concussion is a type of brain injury caused by a direct blow to the head. In cases involving car crashes, concussions often occur because the brain hits the inside of the skull or is violently shaken during the collision.
Concussions are sometimes referred to as mild traumatic brain injuries (mild TBIs). However, there’s nothing mild about a concussion. This is especially true if you sustain multiple concussions within a few weeks or months of each other.
If you sustain a concussion, you need to take your brain injury seriously right from the start. Otherwise, you might suffer long-term medical consequences, including permanent brain damage, chronic headaches or long-term chronic pain in some cases.
How do I know if I have a concussion?
There are many warning signs and symptoms of concussion, including:
- Frequent painful headaches
- Memory lapses, including forgetting common words or familiar names
- Difficulty speaking or slurring words
- Sensitivity to bright light or loud noises
- Unexplained changes in mood, including depression
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or poor balance
What should I do if I have a car accident concussion?
You need to act fast if you sustain a concussion or another type of TBI in a car crash:
- Call the police and ask them to respond to your accident.
- Request an ambulance when calling the police.
- Wait in your vehicle or someplace safe until the police arrive. Don’t try to do too much if you have a serious head injury.
- Ask someone to take photos of your accident.
- If someone saw your crash, get their name and phone number.
- See a doctor right away after your collision.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions. Failure to do so could make your concussion injury worse and result in your concussion injury claim being denied.
- Talk to a lawyer right away. The sooner you have an attorney handling your concussion claim, the better.
Should I accept a settlement offer or file a lawsuit?
First, it’s important to understand how the car accident compensation system works in Texas. All drivers are required by law to have car insurance in Texas. Then, if a driver causes a collision, that driver’s insurance company is required to compensate all injury victims. This is because Texas has an at-fault car insurance system.
So if you sustain a concussion in a collision caused by another driver, that driver’s insurance company should make a settlement offer to cover all your injury-related expenses. However, don’t be surprised if the at-fault driver’s insurance company makes a lowball settlement offer or denies your injury claim altogether.
If this happens, filing a lawsuit seeking damages (financial compensation) might be the best way to get the money you deserve for all your expenses due to your concussion. Not sure what to do? You’re not alone. Deciding whether to take legal action can be a complicated decision. That’s why it pays to talk to a lawyer to learn more about your legal rights.
How can a car accident concussion lawyer help?
You only have one opportunity to obtain all the money you need for a lifetime’s worth of expenses due to your concussion. Such expenses can easily add up to thousands of dollars or significantly more, especially if you have long-term medical issues due to your concussion.
Make sure you give your car accident injury claim or lawsuit the best opportunity for success. Contact our law firm and schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio car accident attorney you can count on in a crisis. There’s a reason why many injury victims choose The Herrera Law Firm – our experience. We know the law. We understand the legal system. And we’re prepared to do the work that needs to be done to do the job right.