What To Do After a Texas Car Accident
Useful advice from trusted San Antonio car accident lawyers
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Texas, it’s important to know what to do to protect yourself and your rights. That’s why the San Antonio car accident lawyers from the Herrera Law Firm put together this list. Our legal team understands how overwhelming things can be for injured crash victims after being in a car accident. That’s why we want to help. Our car accident attorneys can also help you hold those responsible for your crash accountable and get you the compensation you need and deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
If you’ve been in a car accident, you should:
- Contact the police – Inform law enforcement if anyone is injured or intoxicated.
- Request an ambulance – Even if everyone seems fine, don’t try to diagnose yourself. Have a medical professional evaluate you.
- Gather information – Make sure you get the names of people involved in your car accident, including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and witnesses, including:
(icons for full names, name of person whom the vehicle is registered, phone numbers, addresses and driver’s license numbers, insurance status of drivers, make and model of cars, license plate numbers)
- Don’t say anything – After a car accident, people sometimes say things without thinking. What you say to the other driver could be used against you by insurance companies. Keep your comments brief and stick to the facts of what happened. You should also make note if someone accepts responsibility for the accident – for example, if the other driver says “I’m sorry. It was my fault.”
- Write it down – The more information you have about your accident, the better. Write down important details, including:
- Time and date of your car crash
- If anyone was driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- How your accident occurred
- Direction of vehicles involved in crash
- Names and badge numbers of police offers investigating accident
- Photograph it – Pictures can be powerful pieces of evidence. Make sure you take photographs of the following after your accident:
- Damage to cars
- Skid marks on road
- Weather conditions
- Street signs near crash
- Create a diagram – You don’t have to draw anything elaborate. Simply create a diagram showing the directions the vehicles were traveling and where the impact or impacts occurred.
- Note previous problems – If you saw something wrong with the vehicles before your car accident, such as bald tires, a broken headlight, or if any vehicles were towed from the scene, write it down and tell the investigating police officer.
- Visit a doctor – Even if you feel fine after your accident, don’t take chances with your health. Injuries sometimes take several days to appear after a crash. Make sure you make a follow-up appointment with your doctor.
- Contact us – An experienced San Antonio car accident lawyer from the Herrera Law Firm can help you every step of the way. Our legal team has the knowledge and experience to get you the compensation you’re entitled to. Take action and let us get started on your case. Contact us today for a free consultation.