San Antonio Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyers
Our law firm fights for injury victims in Bexar County, Texas
One of the most complicated and frustrating types of car accidents involves hit-and-run collisions. Drivers who flee the scene of an accident put victims in a tough position. When this happens, it’s critical that injury victims fully understand their legal rights.
That’s why you need The Herrera Law Firm in your corner after your accident. Our experienced San Antonio hit-and-run accident attorneys can work with you and make sure your injury claim or lawsuit gets the attention it deserves.
When you have our legal team on your side, you can decide what happens next. Instead of insurance companies or anyone else telling you what to do, our lawyers can work with you to build a strong legal case designed to help you obtain the maximum financial compensation.
What to do after a hit-and-run car accident in Texas
- Don’t try to stop the hit-and-run driver.
- Call the police and tell them you’ve just been in a hit-and-run accident.
- Try to remember as much as you can about your accident. Important details include:
- A description of the driver
- Make, model and color of their vehicle
- License plate number
- Which direction they headed in when they left the scene of the accident
- Obtain contact information from any possible witnesses.
- Take pictures of your car and the accident scene if you have a camera.
- Get in touch with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Who pays for my hit-and-run accident?
It depends on the situation. If the hit-and-run driver is identified, then you can take legal action against them the same way you would in any other scenario. But if the hit-and-run driver is not found, getting compensation can be much more difficult.
One option is to file an uninsured motorist (UM) claim with your own insurance company, since an unknown driver is uninsured by default. Uninsured motorist coverage is not mandatory in Texas, but the insurance company is required to offer it to you. You may also have other types of applicable coverage on your own insurance policy, such as medical payments coverage or collision coverage. If you’re not sure if your insurance covers your hit-and-run accident, talk to an attorney right away to learn more about your options.
What can I be compensated for?
Depending on what type of insurance you have, you should be compensated for all your accident-related expenses. This can include:
- Your medical bills
- Your vehicle repairs
- Replacement income while you recover from your collision
- Lost income if you cannot return to work in the future
How can a hit-and-run accident attorney help?
Car accident injury claims involving hit-and-run collisions can be confusing. Your insurance company might not give you straight answers, push you to accept a lowball settlement offer or deny your accident claim altogether.
Make sure you fully understand your legal rights. Contact our law firm and schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio hit-and-run accident attorney you can trust. Our dedicated legal team at The Herrera Law Firm has your best interests at heart.