San Antonio, TX Personal Injury Lawyers
Local 1-210-224-1054

Hit By a Drunk Driver in San Antonio?

Our drunk driving accident lawyers fight for injury victims in Texas

Drunk drivers in San Antonio and other parts of Texas often cause serious car accidents. Worst of all, these collisions could have easily been prevented. The dangers of drunk driving have been well documented for decades. So when drivers choose to drive drunk, they deserve to be held responsible for their actions.

If you have been hit by a drunk driver, our San Antonio drunk driving accident attorneys at The Herrera Law Firm can aggressively fight for your rights. We know the laws that apply to driving under the influence accidents in Texas. We understand how the legal system works with these types of car accidents. That’s why we have such a strong track record of success.

When you have our legal team on your side, you can decide what happens next. Instead of insurance companies or anyone else telling you what to do, our lawyers can work with you to build a strong injury claim or lawsuit against the drunk driver who caused your car crash.

Types of accidents caused by drunk drivers

Drunk driving is a serious problem in Texas. Each year, impaired drivers kill nearly 1,500 people in Texas, according to accident data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).

Drivers under the influence of alcohol often cause a wide range of serious collisions, including:

  • Head-on collisions, especially when drunk drivers veer into oncoming traffic on city streets or rural roads.
  • Intersection accidents, especially if a drunk driver runs a red light or doesn’t stop at a stop sign.
  • Rear-end collisions, whether it’s on a city street or busy highway at high speed.
  • Asleep at the wheel accidents, particularly because many drunk drivers fall asleep while driving late at night.
  • Reckless driving accidents, especially because drunk drivers often take unnecessary risks, including speeding, passing other vehicles illegally and other dangerous driving habits.

What should I do if a drunk driver hits my car?

You need to act fast to protect your rights and your health after a collision caused by a drunk driver in San Antonio or another city in Texas:

  • Call 911 immediately and ask the police to respond to your accident. Drunk driving is a serious crime.
  • If you or anyone else appears seriously injured, ask the 911 dispatcher to send an ambulance.
  • Wait in your vehicle for the police to arrive. Drunk drivers can be dangerous and unpredictable.
  • If you see someone who saw your accident, get their full name and phone number. That way, investigators can interview the eyewitness who saw your drunk driving accident.
  • Take pictures of your crash site. The more photos, the better.
  • Besides getting contact information, only talk to the investigating police officer. Don’t talk to the drunk driver or anyone else at the scene of your accident. Anything you say could later be used as evidence to try to deny your injury claim.
  • If you have not already been examined by an EMT or emergency room doctor, seek immediate medical attention.
  • Schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor, even if you have already been examined by a medical professional. Many serious injuries take hours or days to develop after a collision.
  • Call a lawyer right away. The sooner you have a drunk driving accident attorney handling your injury claim or lawsuit, the better.

Who’s responsible for paying for my accident?

Texas has an at-fault car insurance system. This means the at-fault party must pay for all accident-related expenses for all injury victims. So if you or a loved one was injured in a drunk driving accident, the drunk driver would likely be responsible for paying for your injury-related expenses.

However, collisions caused by impaired drivers can be very complicated and may involve more than one at-fault party. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to a lawyer familiar with how the legal system works in Texas in terms of drunk driving accidents.

Who can I sue for my drunk driving accident?

Drunk driving accidents are different than many other collisions in Texas. That’s because you may be able to file a lawsuit against more than one at-fault party seeking damages (financial compensation). Depending on the circumstances of your crash, you may be able to file a lawsuit against:

  • The drunk driver who caused your accident (and their insurance company).
  • The bar, restaurant or liquor store that sold alcohol to the drunk driver if the driver was already intoxicated when they purchased more alcohol. Such legal cases are known as “dram shop” claims.
  • Any other responsible party, such as a vehicle manufacturer or another driver involved in the wreck.

Remember, you can sue the drunk driver for damages in civil court even if they aren’t convicted of DWI in criminal court. Your case for damages is distinct from any criminal charges brought by the State of Texas in connection with the same wreck.

Why should I hire a San Antonio drunk driving accident attorney?

You might think you don’t need a lawyer if a drunk driver caused your car crash. Such collisions might seem very straightforward. But the reality is even seemingly simple accidents caused by impaired drivers often quickly turn into complicated legal cases. That’s because there’s often a lot of money at stake.

We understand the seriousness of your accident at The Herrera Law Firm. That’s why our San Antonio drunk driving accident lawyers want to help. When you have our legal team on your side, you can demand the money you deserve. We also realize your case is about more than just financial compensation. It’s about holding drunk drivers accountable for their actions.

Get the San Antonio law firm that gets results. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with a San Antonio drunk driving accident attorney you can count on in a crisis.

Free Case Consultation

    The Herrera
    Law Firm
    1800 W. Commerce St.
    San Antonio, TX 78207
    Toll Free: 1-800-455-1054
    Phone: 1-210-224-1054
    View map