Monsanto Roundup Lawsuit Attorney
- Have you developed cancer due to exposure to Roundup?
- Are you experiencing other medical problems linked to Roundup?
- Unsure what your legal options are or who to discuss your case with?
Talk to a Monsanto Roundup injury lawyer at The Herrera Law Firm. Our experienced legal team is currently reviewing potential product liability cases on behalf of people who sustained serious health problems due to exposure to Roundup.
What is Roundup?
Roundup is the brand name for an herbicide used to kill weeds. Originally developed by the Monsanto Company in 1973, Roundup quickly became one the world’s bestselling glyphosate-based herbicides used to kill weeds and other invasive plants.
As part of its development of Roundup, Monsanto also created genetically modified seeds in the 1990s, which the company claimed could tolerate glyphosate. These patented seeds are known as “Roundup Ready” crops, which Monsanto claimed farmers can plant when applying Roundup to their fields. Such Roundup Ready seeds were created for corn, soy, cotton and other crops.
Monsanto aggressively marketed Roundup and Roundup Ready seeds in the 1990s. As a result, sales of Roundup and Roundup Ready crops skyrocketed between 1996 - 2011, with more than half a million pounds of Roundup sold and used nationwide.
Since 2018, Monsanto has been owned by Bayer, the international, German-based pharmaceutical company.
Cancer and other health problems associated with Roundup
The ingredient in Roundup which kills weeds is glyphosate. Monsanto has repeatedly insisted that its product is safe to use and poses no danger to the public health.
In recent years, however, there have been several studies that claim glyphosate causes non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a form of cancer. As a result, the World Health Organization classified glyphosate as a “probable human carcinogen” in 2015.
Non-Hodgkin’s’ Lymphoma cancer isn’t the only health problem associated with exposure to Roundup and glyphosate. Other health problems include:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) – Higher rates of ADHD have been reported in certain farming communities in which glyphosate usage is common.
- Alzheimer’s disease – Laboratory tests have observed that Roundup produces the same health problems often observed in Alzheimer’s patients.
- Autism – The biological effects of glyphosate have been linked to increased rates of autism, particularly since glyphosate often increases aluminum accumulation in the brain, a common cause of autism.
- Birth defects – A study found that pregnant women living within one kilometer of fields sprayed with glyphosate were twice as likely to give birth to a child with a birth defect.
- Brain cancer – Another study found that women exposed to Roundup for at least two years before giving birth doubled the likelihood of giving birth to a child with brain cancer.
- Celiac disease – A study found that fish exposed to glyphosate had digestive problems which mirrored those of people who have Celiac disease, which causes people to be gluten intolerant.
- Colitis – Inflammation of the colon has been associated with exposure to glyphosate.
- Depression – Some people have reported increased rates of depression after exposure to glyphosate.
- Diabetes – A laboratory study found that animals exposed to Roundup had an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Heart disease – Glyphosate can affect the body’s production of certain enzymes, which may result in lysosomal dysfunction, which can result in heart disease.
- Hyperthyroidism – A study found that hyperthyroidism rates were higher in certain farming communities were Roundup was regularly used to treat crops.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease – Glyphosate has been linked to this disease, which is also sometimes known as “leaky gut syndrome.”
- Liver disease – Exposure to Roundup has been linked to decreased liver cell functioning, according to a study.
- Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS) – Glyphosate has been linked to the brain disease known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) – Exposure to glyphosate has been found to be a factor in the development of MS among certain people.
- Parkinson’s disease – Laboratory studies have found a strong link between the brain-damaging effects associated with Parkinson’s disease and exposure to glyphosate.
- Respiratory illness – Studies of certain farming communities where Roundup is used regularly found higher rates of chronic respiratory illness.
Legal action taken against Monsanto and Bayer
In response to such health problems associated with exposure to Roundup, many people have taken legal action against Monsanto and Bayer. In recent years, these legal battles have been successful for many people harmed by Roundup and resulted in several multi-million-dollar verdicts.
One of the biggest obstacles to taking legal action against Monsanto and Bayer was removed in July 2018. That’s when U.S. District Court Judge Vince Chhabria rejected Monsanto’s request to have hundreds of lawsuits which had been filed against the company by people claiming they have cancer due to exposure to Roundup thrown out.
How a Monsanto Roundup injury attorney can help you
Monsanto and Bayer are large, powerful, multi-national corporations. Each time someone has taken legal action against these companies due to health problems caused by exposure to Roundup, injury victims have frequently encountered a vigorous legal defense mounted by Monsanto and Bayer.
They don’t intimidate us. That’s because The Herrera Law Firm has decades of experience successfully fighting for the underdog. We know what evidence to look for. We know what questions to ask. We’re prepared to do the work that needs to be done to secure the settlement or verdict you rightfully deserve.
Put your trust in a Monsanto product liability lawyer you can trust. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation today. One of our experienced attorneys can meet with you and explain all your legal options. You have rights. We can fight for them. Call now.