Birth Injury Attorney in San Antonio
The Herrera Law Firm assists Texas families going through significant hardship
A birth injury mars what should be a joyous occasion. If the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional led to an injury before or during the birth of a child, a birth injury attorney in San Antonio may be able to help you pursue compensation.
Childbirth continues to have risks, despite advances in modern medical care. Sometimes technology and specialized care cannot save a baby from a care provider's negligence. While your doctor or physician sometimes will be able to notice early warning signs, you can't always trust medical professionals to notice everything that's wrong with your newborn baby.
If your child suffered an injury during birth, you may be entitled to compensation. Damages in these types of medical malpractice cases may include payments for the baby's medical care in the future, lost earnings, pain and suffering for both the injured baby the traumatized birth mother.
Types of birth injuries
The following are examples of temporary childbirth injuries:
- Bone fractures
- Excessive facial swelling
The following are examples of permanent childbirth injuries:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injury
- Blindness or loss of vision
Cerebral palsy in newborns can occur naturally. The condition results from a lack of blood flow to the brain during delivery, starving the brain of oxygen. However, a doctor's actions during the delivery can contribute to or even create this situation.
A doctor may be negligent if any of the following conditions existed during childbirth:
- Not promptly recognizing or resolving complications with the umbilical cord (for instance, when it is around the baby's neck in utero)
- Inappropriate use of vacuum extractor
- Inappropriate use of forceps to speed delivery
Symptoms of cerebral palsy
Recognizing the signs of cerebral palsy in a newborn is complicated. Be sure you have a credible medical opinion before you arrive at your own conclusions. Cerebral palsy symptoms in newborns can range in severity and type.
Cerebral palsy symptoms may include:
- Facial ticks
- Muscle spasms
- Under-developed fine motor control
- Posture problems
We understand how difficult childbirth injury cases can be for Texas families. We maintain confidentiality and use discretion throughout a birth defect and injury case and typically negotiate with insurance companies, not doctors.
Erb's palsy is the common name for an injury to the brachial plexus, a nerve center near the shoulder. In newborns, brachial plexus injuries resulting in Erb's palsy commonly occurs when an infant's shoulder becomes trapped behind the mother's pelvic bone during delivery.
If the attending doctor does not promptly address the condition, the damage to this nerve center can lead to paralysis or other nerve damage in the newborn's arm. In some cases, the injury is aggravated by forcible extraction while the shoulder is still trapped.
Explanation of terms
- The condition of an in-utero child's shoulder becoming stuck is known as "shoulder dystocia."
- The brachial plexus is a mass of nerves in the armpit; it is responsible for transmitting nerve signals to the arm.
- The damage to the brachial plexus due to shoulder dystocia can paralyze parts of the arm.
- The resulting nerve damage condition may be referred to as Erb's Palsy.