Hurt in an accident with a tractor-trailer?
Get a San Antonio truck accident lawyer to win your claim
Tractor-trailer accidents often result in severe injury. That’s because a fully loaded 18-wheeler or semi-truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. If you’ve been injured in a crash with a tractor-trailer, a truck accident lawyer from our San Antonio law firm can explain your legal options, answer your questions, and help you obtain maximum compensation. Don’t wait to take action. Act now to protect your rights. Contact us today for a free consultation.
At the Herrera Law Firm, our San Antonio truck accident attorneys have years of experience handling claims from complicated truck wrecks. We know how the legal system works in Texas, and we know what to do to put together a winning case.
Why are tractor-trailer accidents complicated?
Tractor-trailer accidents can be especially confusing since injured victims often have to deal with several different companies after their crash. Unlike car accidents, you may be able to take legal action against a lot of different parties, including:
- The tractor-trailer driver
- The trucking company the driver works for
- The company that owns the truck
- The company that owns the trailer
- The company that loaded the truck
- The company that manufactured products in truck
- The company that packaged products in truck
In nearly every single case, there’s a different insurance provider and teams of attorneys representing each business and insurance company. If you try to take all of them on alone, you will almost certainly find yourself fighting a losing battle. That’s why we want to meet with you. Our truck accident attorneys know how to fight to get injured victims the results they need.
Common causes of tractor-trailer accidents
Tractor-trailer accidents happen for many different reasons, including:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
Accidents involving tractor-trailers happen for many unique reasons as well, including:
- Overloaded tractor-trailers
- Improperly loaded tractor-trailers
Other examples of how a serious highway tractor-trailer accident may happen include:
- The driver of an 18-wheeler may be tempted to change lanes in order to pass a slower-moving vehicle. When the driver of the semi-truck fails to properly check their mirrors, the unseen passenger vehicle has to swerve to avoid being hit. In this case, the truck driver may be found at fault for an accident.
- A large truck driving too fast on the highway may be unable to slow down when approaching congestion and may cause an accident.
Investigating truck accidents
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, an arm of the Department of Transportation, regulates the trucking industry. Trucking companies must keep many different types of records. When a tractor-trailer accident occurs due to an unsafe truck on the road, an experienced attorney can investigate those records to determine if a company followed proper procedure.
Our firm investigates trucking companies by examining the professional liability of those who maintain or load the tractor-trailer. We typically look at ownership, any prior incidents, past police reports and insurance coverage, as well as other factors.
Investigating trucking companies may involve checking the following records:
- Driver background
- Driver history of accidents or moving violations
- Driver logs
- Fleet maintenance records
- Hiring/training/supervising practices of the company
What a truck accident lawyer can do for you
There are so many different ways our legal team can help following an accident with a tractor-trailer. These include:
- Filling out accident forms
- Investigating your accident
- Contacting the trucking company
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Demanding maximum compensation
- Filing a tractor-trailer accident lawsuit if necessary
We’re prepared to do whatever it takes to win your case. Some law firms avoid complicated tractor-trailer accident claims. We thrive on them. That’s because we know what’s at stake ─ your health and your financial future. We don’t take that responsibility lightly.
Discover how the Herrera Law Firm can help you. Contact us today for a free consultation.