Our personal injury attorneys care about our community
Many law firms talk about their commitment to the community. We believe actions speak louder than words at the Herrera Law Firm. We’re constantly focused on what we can do to help the San Antonio community at large.
Founding attorney Frank Herrera Jr. learned this sense of duty from his parents growing up in the small town of Edna, Texas. The son of a mechanic and a migrant farm worker, Herrera learned from his parents the importance of giving back to the community. When Frank told his mother and father that he wanted to become a lawyer after watching Mexican-American civil-rights lawyer Gus Garcia argue a case in court, Herrera’s mother told him, “Nunca te olvides de donde viniste” – “Help the people and never forget where you came from.”
Those words continue to guide Frank and his two sons – Javier and Jorge – also lawyers at The Herrera Law Firm, along with attorney Laura G. Tamez. It’s probably the reason why Latino Leaders magazine named Frank Herrera Jr. one of the “25 Most Influential Hispanic Lawyers in The United States” in 2016. It’s also the reason why The Herrera Law Firm relocated its main office to a historic building on West Commerce Street on the West Side of San Antonio, an up-and-coming neighborhood. The law firm’s commitment to the Hispanic community is also probably why Frank Herrera Jr. was invited to meet with the King and Queen of Spain in 2015 at an international event in St. Augustine, Florida to commemorate the city’s 450th anniversary.
Each one of our attorneys and the law firm as a whole routinely volunteers or actively participates in community organizations in San Antonio, throughout Texas, as well as with national organizations dedicated to helping people nationwide. These organizations include:
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF) – Frank served on the national Board of Directors for more than 35 years. Jorge currently serves on national Board of Directors. Frank received MALDEF’s President and General Counsels Award in 2018 at its 50th Anniversary San Antonio Awards Gala. The law firm regularly sponsors MALDEF events, including the 2015 Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund San Antonio Gala.
- Mexican American Bar Association (MABA) San Antonio Chapter – Javier was named President of the Chapter in 2016. The law firm regularly sponsors events, including the 2015 Annual Holiday Gala.
- San Antonio Lawyers Association – Laura Tamez was elected to serve as president in 2007, the first Hispanic woman to hold this post.
- San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association – Laura Tamez receives the 2016 Pat Maloney Sr. Courage Award, the first woman to ever receive the annual prize. Javier serves as a member.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law Alumni Association – Frank was actively involved with the organization. Javier received the university’s 2018 “Mentor of the Year” award. Javier was named to the university’s 2018 “10 Under 10” class for outstanding achievement by recent alumni. Javier was named “Distinguished Young Alumnus” in 2018 by the university. Laura Tamez received the 2016 St. Mary’s University Hispanic Law Alumni Association Henry B. Gonzalez Award.
- State Bar of Texas – Frank received the 2016 Peter Torres, Jr. Community Service Award from the association for outstanding service to the Hispanic community.
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association – Laura Tamez serves as a member, was a charter member of TTLA Diversity Committee and former chair of the organization. Jorge previously served as the Chair of the Board of Advocates. Javier serves as a member. Tamez and Jorge have lectured at association events.
- American Association for Justice – Jorge serves on the Board of Governors.
- AVANCE, Inc. – Jorge serves as a National Board Member.
- Battered Women and Children’s Shelter – The law firm served as a sponsor of the Honoring Mothers 17th Annual Luncheon.
- Central Catholic High School – Frank has been involved with the organization.
- College of the State Bar of Texas – Javier is a member.
- Hispanic Law Alumni Association for St. Mary's University School of Law – Javier is a member.
- National College of Advocacy Justice – Laura Tamez is a member.
- National Latino Trial Lawyers Association – Jorge was selected to serve in the organization.
- New American Alliance – Frank served as Chair of the Board of Directors.
- New Leaders Council, San Antonio Chapter – Frank has served on the Chapter’s Advisory Board. Javier served on the Chapter’s Board of Directors. The law firm has often been involved with chapter events, including hosting a reception in 2015
- San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce – Jorge served as General Counsel and on the Chamber’s Executive Board. The law firm regularly sponsors events, including the 87th Annual Gala in 2016.
- South Texas Hispanic Fund – Jorge serves as Vice Chair.
- Southwest Voter Registration Education Project – The law firm hosted an event in 2018 in San Antonio.