If you feel frustrated and angry when you see another driver getting distracted, you’re not alone.
About 63% of drivers say distracted motorists cause them the most anger and frustration on the road.
What are examples of distracted driving?
Distracted driving covers a wide range of behavior. One of the most common types of distractions is texting. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration defines distracted driving as “any activity that diverts attention from driving.” The Zebra, an Austin-based insurance marketplace, lists the following:
- Finding a new song on the radio or on a streaming service
- Putting on makeup
- Entering information into a navigation system
What types of injuries are common in distracted driving crashes?
Injuries in crashes cover a wide range. It’s important to know that some injuries that seem minor at first can become complicated and, in some cases, fatal. That’s why it’s important to seek medical attention immediately after an accident. An internal injury or head injury can worsen with time and may turn deadly
Here are some of the most common injuries a car accident attorney in San Antonio sees:
- Neck injuries or whiplash: Injuries involving the vertebrae, muscles, and ligaments of the neck can be debilitating. Insurance companies sometimes downplay these injuries, but they can have a long-term impact on the quality of life.
- Head injuries: A traumatic brain injury (TBIs) can lead to permanent disability. Victims may never be able to work again or be forced to change careers.
- Back injuries: Some injuries to the back include damage to discs, compression fractures, or spinal cord injuries (SCIs) that lead to paralysis.
- Internal injuries: Car accidents can sometimes lead to internal bleeding, organ damage, fractured ribs, and other serious injuries.
- Leg and arm injuries: Broken bones in arms or legs are among the most common injuries in serious accidents. Other leg and arm injuries include dislocated shoulders and ligament damage. In some cases, victims must undergo amputation of a limb.
How a San Antonio attorney can help
Distracted drivers not only can make other drivers frustrated and angry, but they can cause serious accidents that upend lives. Even though knowing who is at fault in the accident seems clear, insurance companies often will point fingers at the victim who did nothing wrong. They will use tactics to reduce compensation or deny a claim.
Don’t let them push you around. Choose an experienced San Antonio attorney who can advocate on your behalf while you focus on your recovery. If you lost a loved one, we help you with a possible wrongful death lawsuit.